Outlook for Android – Can’t use it for Gmail account!

I used to have a Microsoft Lumia 550 phone, which although basic just worked and really well. Unfortunately I’m a little clumsey and managed to drop it around a dozen times when getting out of the car at work (yeah, you’d think I’d learn). It managed to survive those drops, but only just and ended up with a lovely set of cracks across the screen which I superglued to stop them completely distroying the screen and to prevent getting glass shards in my fingers.

Anyway, it’s got to the point where I needed to get a replacement phone and I would have gone for another Windows phone, but there haven’t been any new releases for a while and I refuse to pay £600+ for the HP one. So, I’ve reluctantly bought an Android…

Why reluctantly? Well I believe Google is getting a little scary in it’s acquisitions (Boston Dynamics) and the recent purchases of a couple of certificate authorities concerns me about personal privacy.

Anyway, I’ve set up my phone to remove a lot of the Android pre-installed crap from Google and set my default browser to Firefox. I thought nothing of doing this until just last week when Outlook refused to connect to my Gmail account and prompting to re-authenticate. I’d click ok, re-authenticate and get a 403 error from Google. After a couple of tries, I remove my Gmail account and tried to re-add it.

Much to my suprise, I can’t re-add my account unless I set Chrome as my default browser!!! Talk about anti-competitive behaviour from Google!

I absolutely refuse to use Chrome as my default Android browser just so that I can use my Gmail account from Outlook!

Office 2010

I have been using office 2010 for about 4 months now and recently (2 weeks ago) re-installed my pc which means I’ve reverted to office 2003…

Well at first I didn’t like office 2010; it was quite a leap from 2003. The new ribbon bar took quite some getting used to, but now that I’ve reverted to 2003, I want it (2010) back!

The thing I probably used most from all the installed office apps was Word 2010. It enabled me to convert over 200 documents to WordPress using the post to blog feature. That feature wasn’t without its down sides though. Over half of the documents had to be manually edited and each would take around 30 minutes. You can see that I lost a few weeks to all that work… But without the help of word, it would have taken a few months, or I would have never done it. I’d even started to write a small app that would remove the horrid formatting that word creates when you save to Microsoft’s version of HTML. But it was a long way off being usable by anyone except me.

I tried using OpenOffice’s alternate solution, but it just isn’t as easy to use. It also errored out when I tried to post…

So, until I get a job, I shall just have to type posts in manually…