m2eclipse plugin error message

I’ve been installing Eclipse with all of the plugins I usually use nowadays (m2eclipse, checkstyle, etc.) but had encountered a problem after installing m2eclipse. The error was as follows:

Could not calculate build plan: Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:maven-plugin:2.4.1
Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
Then, install it using the command: 
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins -DartifactId=maven-resources-plugin -Dversion=2.4.1 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file
Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there: 
mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins -DartifactId=maven-resources-plugin -Dversion=2.4.1 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
----------
1 required artifact is missing.
for artifact: 
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:maven-plugin:2.4.1
from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2, releases=true, snapshots=false)

Rather non-descript error there. Had a quick google around and there are a few people posting similar error messages but none of the pages had an answer on how to fix it. I checked the .m2eclipse file to make sure it was correct, which it seems to be. And then I had a bit of a brain wave! (Unusual yes). Every post I’d seen had mentioned that the plugin was definitely in the repository, but Eclipse was claiming it couldn’t find it. So I checked ZoneAlarm and deleted all entries that didn’t have Access-trusted and internet. Lo and behold, Java™ Platform SE binary pops up a dialog box straight away and when I allowed it access, Eclipse began to download successfully from the repository!

But the error is still there… So attempt 2, add the plugin to the plugins tab, but move the plugin to the next version 2.4.2.

<plugins>
  	<plugin>
 		<groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
		<artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
		<version>2.4.2</version>
	</plugin>
</plugins>

The error is now gone, but not sure this is the best solution, so if anyone can think of a better one, let me know!

Anyway hope this helps someone else with this error message.

Tuesday 15th bike ride

After cycling to Arlesey on Monday, I needed to get a few supplies for my bike before the London to Cambridge event next month. So instead of using the car (which would cost £1.50), I decided to cycle to Biggleswade and back.

So my route was:


View Larger Map

It was quite possibly one of the windiest days I’ve been cycling this year! No matter what direction I was going in, it was a constant struggle. On the way back I was rather weighed down with all the shopping I’d bought at ASDA, so I learnt a lesson, take a better backpack.

I bought another water carrier for the seat post, a CO2 pump with 4 spare cartridges and an inner tube, so hopefully I now have enough kit to fix two bikes.

Sunday 6th bike ride

Today we were going out for a short bike ride (I just couldn’t be bothered this morning – too tired) but after we got to Steeple Morden, I was tricked in to going further. So instead of around 10 miles the ride ended up at 17 miles.

So here is the route:

View Larger Map

Saw a fair few cyclists many of whom were very friendly.
Weather was dull, but I’ve got a nice tan (compared to my usual porcelain colour) this year due to all the cycling!